On Friday, 2 November 2018, the members of the jury of the Climate Initiatives Awards held a meeting at UCLG Africa headquarters in Rabat. The 2018 edition is organized by UCLG Africa and the Climate Initiatives association in the framework of the Africities 8 summit, scheduled for 20-24 November 2018 in Marrakech, on the theme: “The transition to sustainable cities and territories: The role of Local and Sub- national governments of Africa.”.
The jury designed 9 nominees in the 3 categories of African Local and Sub- national governments in competition : Small cities : less than 20,000 inhabitants, Intermediary Cities From 20,000 to 100,000 inhabitants and Big Cities : More than 100,000 inhabitants.
31 initiatives were received from 16 countries, the jury select the 9 most innovative initiatives in climate change adaptation and mitigation. There are:
-Category 1 (Small Cities, less than 20,000 inhabitants):
* Commune Rurale Ambohimanambola (Madagascar): Development of a waste processing station
* Commune of Ndiob (Senegal): A green and resilient commune
–Category 2 (Intermediary Cities, from 20,000 to 100,000 inhabitants)
* Commune of Yoko (Cameroon): Integral protection of a communal forest
* Chefchaouen (Morocco): Energy Info Center
* Goz Beida (Chad): Reconstitution of plant cover and fight against soil erosion
– Category 3 (Large communities, more than 100,000 inhabitants)
* Quelimane (Mozambique): Quelimane Mangrove Restoration
* EThekwini Municipality (South Africa): Buffelsdraai Reforestation Project
* Departmental Council of Tivaouane (Senegal): Preservation of a sustainable agricultural environment
* Yaoundé City Council (Cameroon): Yaoundé Sanitation Project
These nine initiatives will be put to the vote of the 5000 delegates expected at Africities 2018 Summit, to nominate the winner of each category. The votes will be made via the application of Africities Summit.
The nine nominees are fully supported by UCLG Africa (one person per municipality) to attend the Africities Summit from 20 to 24 November 2018. A trophy will be awarded to all winners at the Africities summit gala dinner on 24 November 2018.