The Importance of the New Urban Agenda to African Cities and Municipalities.
It is now widely appreciated by cities and local governments that it is impossible to deal with Africa’s growth and poverty challenges without dealing with the rapid urbanisation issues that affect the sustainability of our cities and human settlements. After the completion of UN Habitat’s rst Assembly UCLG Africa explores how African Cities and Local Governments have contributed to the New Urban Agenda, and what innovative solutions have been introduced that have impacted on sustainable development. The UN Habitat Assembly’s mandate is to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all.
Global city leaders and managers from 127 Member States adopted five resolutions at the final session of the assembly that included:
– Approval of a new strategic plan for 2020-2023
– Safer cities and human settlements;
– Capacity building for the implementation of the New Urban Agenda and the urban dimension of the 2030
Agenda for Sustainable Development;
– Gender equality to support inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable cities and human settlements;
– and Enhancing urban-rural linkages for sustainable urbanization
Read more here