Rabat, 22 June 2020
The 23rd ordinary session of the Executive Committee of the Pan-African organization of United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa) is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 24 June 2020 in virtual format, due to the coronavirus pandemic (Covid- 19).
The meeting will be mainly devoted to the approval of the accounts of the organization; the 2020-2030 strategy of UCLG Africa and the implementation of the recommendations from the Executive Committee held in Durban (South Africa) in November 2019.
The proceedings will be chaired by Mr. Léandre Nzué, Mayor of Libreville (Gabon) and President of UCLG Africa.
The following leaders of UCLG Africa will also participate in this virtual meeting via the Zoom platform:
– Mr. Mohammed Boudra, President of GCCA (Morocco), Vice-President of UCLG Africa for the North Africa region and President of the world organization UCLG;
– Mrs. Soham El Wardini, Mayor of Dakar (Senegal), Vice-President of UCLG Africa for the West Africa region;
– Mr. Uwimana Innocent, President of RALGA (Rwanda), Vice-President of UCLG Africa for the East Africa region;
– Mr. Jeffry Sibisibi, President of BALA (Botswana), Vice-President of UCLG Africa for the Southern Africa region;
– Mrs. Dao Macoura, Mayor of Foumbolo (Côte d’Ivoire), President of REFELA (Network of Locally Elected Women in Africa);
– Mrs. Thembisile Nkadimeng, President of SALGA (South Africa) and Co-President of the world organization UCLG;
– Mr. Armand Béouindé, Mayor of Ougadougou (Burkina Faso) and President for Africa of the world organization UCLG;
– Mr. Jean-Pierre Elong Mbassi, Secretary General of UCLG Africa.
As a reminder, UCLG Africa’s Executive Committee is the body in charge of the political leadership of the organization. The Executive Committee is comprised of 16 members, 15 members equally representing each of the 5 regions of the continent, (3 for each of the 5 regions), plus the President of the Network of Locally Elected Women of Africa (REFELA – UCLG Africa’s gender committee).
For further information, please contact:
Tel: + 212 610 56 71 45
UCLG Africa: United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa), is the umbrella organization that represents the local authorities of Africa. UCLG Africa has 48 national associations of local authorities and more than 2,000 cities and local authorities that are direct members. Through its members it represents more than 350 million African citizens. UCLG Africa’s main missions are to promote decentralization in Africa and the establishment of African local and regional authorities as an autonomous sphere of governance, distinct from, but complementary to, the national government; to support the creation and strengthening of national associations of local and regional authorities with a view to promoting structured dialogue between the Government and local and regional authorities in the definition and implementation of public policies, including decentralization policies; and to contribute to the development and unity of the African continent from the cities and territories.
Visit UCLG Africa’s website: www.uclga.org