Dr. Mohamed Boudra, Mayor of Al Hoceima (Morocco), candidate from Africa, was elected President of United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) at the organization’s World Congress held on 15 November 2019 in Durban (South Africa). The result of the first round was: Dr. Boudra, first with 100 votes; followed by Mr. Ilsur Metshin, Mayor of Kazan in Russia with 66 votes, and in third place Mr. Fernando Medina, Mayor of Lisbon in Portugal with 55 votes, which gave Mr. Boudra and Mr. Meltshin qualified for the second round scheduled for November 15, 2019, during which each candidate was required to submit a ticket including, in addition to himself, 5 co-chairs chosen from the 8 candidates selected for this position; and two Treasurers chosen from the 4 candidates selected for this position.
The second round, which was to be held on 15 November 2019, no longer took place, as the two candidates agreed to form a consensual presidential team in which all UCLG sections are represented, including the vice-presidents appointed by section. The new President of UCLG introduced the team with which he intends to lead the global organization during his three-year term (2019-2022). This team is composed as follows:
– Dr. Mohamed BOUDRA, President of UCLG;
– Ilsur METSHIN, President of the United Nations Advisory Committee on Local and Regional Authorities, UNACLA, Member of the UCLG Presidency.
– Araya Johnny Monge Mayor of San Jose, Costa Rica (ASPAC Section) ;
– Igur Ibrahim Althay, Mayor of Konya, Turkey (Middle East and West Asia Section)
– Jan Van Zanen, Mayor of Utrecht, The Netherlands (Europe Section)
– Li Mingyang, Mayor of Xi’An, China (Asia Pacific Section)
– Thembisile Nkadimeng, Mayor of Polokwane, South Africa (Africa Section)
Ex-officio Co-President :
– Anne Hidalgo, Mayor of Paris, France, President of the Standing Committee on Gender Equality of UCLG
– Alfelor Madelaine Yorobe, Mayor of Iriga, Philippines (Asia Pacific Section)
– Berry Vbranovic, Mayor of Kitchener, Canada (North America Chapter)
Vice-Presidents by section:
- Africa: Mr. Armand Roland Pierre Béouindé, Mayor of Ouagadougou (Burkina Faso)
- ASIA-PACIFIC : Ms. Tri Rismaharini, Mayor of Surabaya, President of UCLG-ASPAC
- EURASIA: Mr. Aysen Nikoalev, Head of Sakha Republic
- EUROPE: Mr. Carlos Martinez, Mayor of Soria
- MEWA : Mr. Mohamed Saadie, President of the Union of Dannieh Municipalities, President of UCLG-MEWA
- Latine America : Mr. Christian Di Candia, Mayor of Montevideo (Uruguay)
- North America: Mr. Bill Karsten, Councillor of Halifax Regional Municipality, President of FCM (Canada)
- METROPOLIS Vice-Presidency: Michael Müller, Mayor of Berlin, President of Metropolis.
Moroccan Mohamed Boudra succeeds South African Parks Tau, who served as UCLG President from 2016 to 2019. With the election of Mohamed Boudra, Africa is entering its second consecutive term as President of UCLG for the period 2019-2022.
After the installation of the new presidential team Mr. Boudra congratulated his predecessor and the entire outgoing presidential team for the work they had done for the organization. In regard to the outgoing President, Mr. Parks Tau, he said: “We have not lost a President, because you will continue to be our President. But we have won a minister who will defend local and regional authorities. Thank you to South Africa for this congress, which I can call the Congress of the Union. The union of all UCLG sections“.
In his speech at the inauguration of his term as President of UCLG, Mr Mohamed Boudra said in particular:
“Thank you to my peers for their confidence and for allowing me to be elected President of UCLG. The debates and exchanges were fascinating and full of lessons. I solemnly undertake to complete my commitments to raise our organization to the highest level. We have come here together with the concern to safeguard and strengthen the unity and strengthening of our world organization and we have succeeded”.
Local Africa rejoices
African delegates expressed their satisfaction at seeing the continent retain the leadership of the World organization.
“It is a total satisfaction, all the more so as the bid has been in progress since the Executive Committee meeting in Cairo in June before continuing in Libreville in July 2019. The choice of Africa’s candidate was made according to a very democratic process and everyone was behind Mohamed Boudra because we thought he was the best candidate for Africa. Today the result is there, Mr. Boudra is elected President of UCLG World. It is Africa that is honoured, it is Gabon that is honoured,” said Léandre Nzué, President of UCLG Africa.
“Africa remains at the helm of the global organization. Now we must remain dedicated and committed to further developing our World organization. The world is watching us and we need to propose viable solutions, and we are ready for that,” added Ms Thembisile Nkadimeng, elected Co-President of UCLG.
“I am pleased to see that the world’s local elected representatives have kept the values of our organization. The values of making an election without rupture, an election without fracture. We are also pleased to maintain this second term as an African and to ensure that our global institution remains a strong one,” continued Armand Béouindé, Mayor of Ouagadougou, elected UCLG Vice-President for Africa.
The next UCLG World Congress will be held in 2022 in the city of Daejeon in South Korea.
For more information, please contact:
Gaëlle Yomi: Phone: +212 610 56 71 45
Visit our website: www.uclga.org