Call for Applications: Communication Officer- Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa
The Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa (CoM SSA) is a 4-year project with the
general goal of increasing the capacities of Sub-Saharan cities in their fight against climate
change and in their efforts in ensuring access to clean energy. Started in 2015, the initiative is
shaped by local authorities for the local authorities to reflect the local context and specifics.
The CoM SSA is looking for a full-time Communication Officer to manage the projects online
and offline communication activities. The Communication Officer will work closely with the
project coordination team based in Brussels, Belgium, the Helpdesk of CoM SSA based in
Accra, Ghana, all project partners and the communication team of the Global Covenant of
Mayors (G CoM).
Tasks and responsibilities:
• Manage the delivery of the communication strategy of CoM SSA with the aim of
increasing the visibility of the initiative to its target audiences, including Sub-Saharan
cities, EU Delegations, journalists and other relevant stakeholders
• Manage all media work, including actively pitching stories, write articles, press releases,
newsletters, and respond to press and other inquiries
• Develop the website in close collaboration with the developer and social media content,
maintain and update regularly the project’s website, Facebook, Twitter accounts in
English and French
• Maintain and update a database of journalists and media contacts and proactively
engage with media
• Coordinate, design, write, proofread and edit all types of informational and promotional
materials in English and French, such as brochures, leaflets, posters, banners, etc.
• Coordinate the production and execution of audio-visual materials such as infographics,
images and videos
• Ensure visibility of the project at key events, including live coverage on social media
• Measure and report on analytics and impact of the communication efforts
• Liaise closely with project partners to collect contributions (including translations in
Portuguese) and engage on their activities
• Ensure smooth, quick and close interaction with CoM SSA signatory cities to
communicate about their activities
• Any other tasks related to communication and dissemination aspects
• At least 2 years of relevant experience in communication, media relations, social media
• Excellent command of English and French, both spoken and written, is required.
Knowledge of Portuguese, would be considered an asset
• Experience in pitching stories for media and developing engaging content
• Experience working with stakeholders and media in Africa
• Strong event organization skills, experience with organization of large events is a plus
• Perfect command of social media (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram)
• High proficiency in the MS Office suite, database management and Adobe Creative
• Experience in managing and updating websites (especially WordPress),
• Knowledge of the energy and climate issues
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Independent, problem solver, team player, flexible
• Capacity to work on his/her own initiative
• Good organisational skills and ability to juggle priorities and assignments, sometimes
with short deadlines.
• Good interpersonal and networking skills
• Great attention to detail
• Capacity and interest to work in a multicultural and international environment
• Ability to liaise with a variety of stakeholders
• Capacity to travel for work and reasonable flexibility in working time
Deadline to receive applications is the 20th September 2018 at midnight GMT.
Applications should be sent to the following addresses:
email@example.com; Daniela.GodinhoLourenco@ccre-cemr.org; firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the continuation of the process.