The Executive Committee of United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa) meets on May 14, 2018 in Rabat (Morocco), with the support of the Moroccan Association of Presidents of Municipal Councils(AMPCC).
This 18th session of the Executive Committee is held the day before the official ceremony for the launch of the organization of the Africities 8 summit (Marrakech, 20-24 November 2018). This ceremony is scheduled to take place in Rabat, Morocco, on May 15, 2018 from 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm at the Balafrej Hall of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Kingdom of Morocco.
The official opening ceremony of the Executive Committee of UCLG Africa will take place at 2:00 pm at the Hotel “La Tour Hassan” in the presence of:
– Mr Mohamed Sadiki, Mayor of Rabat
– Mr. Mohammed Boudra, President of AMPCC
– Mr. Mpho Parks Tau, President of the World Organization of United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG) and Vice President of UCLG Africa for the Southern Africa Region;
– Mrs. Rose Christiane Ossouka Raponda , Mayor of Libreville, UCLG Vice- President for Africa;
– Mr. Cheikh Ahmed Baya, Vice President of UCLG Africa for the North Africa Region;
– Mr. Christian Roger Okemba, Mayor of Brazzaville (Congo), Vice President of UCLG Africa for the Central Africa Region;
– Mrs. Célestine Ketcha Courtès, President of the Network of Locally Elected Women of Africa ( REFELA ) ;
– Mr. Jean Pierre Elong Mbassi, Secretary General of UCLG Africa.
The Executive Committee will, among other things, approve the accounts of UCLG Africa for the 2017 financial year and review the progress of preparations for the eighth edition of the Africities Summit to be held in Marrakesh, on November 20-24, 2018 under the theme of “Transition to Sustainable Cities and Territories: The Role of African Local Governments. “
On the sidelines of the meeting of the Executive Committee will also be held the meetings of the Executive Board of the Network of Locally Elected Women of Africa (REFELA) and of the World Association of the Major Metropolises (Metropolis).
The national and international press are invited to cover the opening ceremony on Monday 14th May at 2:00 pm at the hotel “La Tour Hassan” in Rabat (Morocco).
As a reminder, the Executive Committee of UCLG Africa is the body responsible for the political leadership of UCLG Africa between sessions of the General Assembly of the organization. The Executive Committee comprises 16 members, 15 members representing equally each of the 5 regions of the continent (3 for each of the 5 regions), plus the Network of Locally Elected Women of Africa (REFELA).
For more information, please contact:
Gaëlle Yomi: Tel: + 212 610 56 71 45