UCLG Africa signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with UNESCO Centre for the Promotion of Human Rights at Local and Regional Levels sign Memorandum of Understanding, on 27 March 2018 at hotel Rabat (Morocco).
The MoU was signed by Mr. Jean Pierre Elong Mbassi, UCLG Africa Secretary General and by Pof. Wolfgang Benedek, President of General Assembly of the European Training and Research Centre for Human Rights and Democracy and the UNESCO Centre for the Promotion of Human Rights at Local and Regional Levels.
The MoU shall provide a generic framework for UCLG Africa and UNESCO Centre for the Promotion of Human Rights at Local and Regional Levels, to promote joint activities, training, capacity building, research and exchange of expertise in the field of human rights, democracy and diversity at the local level, addressed to local governments, elected officials as well as civil servants.
The parties have agreed to cooperate in the following areas:
- Setting up jointly an ALGA Curriculum for the ALGA Master, as well as the ALGA College dedicated to Promoting Human Rights , Democracy and Diversity at Local Level;
- Organizing join events, such as panels on human rights, democracy and diversity during the Africities Summit;
- Benefit and exchange expertise, modules, tools, best practices and documentation;
- Mobilizing Experts from Europe and Experts from Africa;
- Developing E-learning courses;
- Organizing study tours for Local Authorities and Managers.
The evaluation of the implementation of the MoU provisions will be lead on behalf of UCLG Africa by the Director of the African Local Government Academy (ALGA), Dr. Najat ZARROUK.