The inaugural 2015 “José Eduardo dos Santos African Mayor Awards”, created by the UCLG Africa, has been launched. The awards ceremony will take place on the 29 and 30 April 2015 in Luanda, Angola.
The “African Mayor Award” aims to acknowledge and celebrate the leadership and contribution of Mayors of large, medium and small cities across Africa during a formal ceremony and a gala dinner chaired by President José Eduardo dos Santos in Luanda.
“African Mayor Award” will honor African mayors who have made an outstanding contribution to their communities and developed a vision for urban living, working and visiting across Africa. The award is supported by the Government of Angola, the UN-Habitat, UCLG Africa and the IC Publications Group.
Each year, outstanding African Mayors and municipal professionals from large metropolis (1,000,000 residents or more), intermediate (less than a 1,000,000 and more than 200,000 residents) and small cities (up to 200,000 residents) will have the opportunity to win the prestigious “José Eduardo dos Santos” African Mayor Award.
Judges for the award are:
- Edgar Pieterse, Director of African Center for Cities, University of Cape Town
- Jean Pierre Elong Mbassi, Secretary General, of United Cities and Local Governments-Africa (UCLG Africa)
- Tokunbo Omisore, Chairman of the African Union of Architects
- Aisa Kirabo Kacyira, UN Assistant Secretary-General and Deputy Executive Director for UN-Habitat
- Vitor Leonel Miguel, Chairman of the Angolan Architects Union