“The City of Lomé Hosts The Regional Forum on: ““Strengthening the Resilience and Increasing Climate Ambitions of Local Governments in Africa”
Lomé, Togo. June 09, 2021
From June 10 to 11, 2021 in Lomé (Togo), United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa), is organizing the Forum on: “Strengthening the Resilience and Increasing Climate Ambitions of Local Governments in Africa”. This Forum is organized in collaboration with the Government of Togo, the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU), BOAD, UNDP, and Expertise France. This Forum is part of the activities of the Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy in Sub-Saharan Africa (CoM SSA) and Expertise France. It takes place in a hybrid format, face-to-face at the “Hôtel du 2 février”, and online.
The Forum is placed under the High Patronage of His Excellency Mr. Faure Gnassingbé, President of the Republic of Tog𝐨.
The Forum is a follow-up to the efforts undertaken by CoM SSA to support local authorities in the implementation of climate-energy plans, and is intended as an extension of these efforts with a view to developing a portfolio of climate projects led by local authorities and facilitating their access to climate finance.
In this regard, the Forum aims to:
– Make all the local and regional governments of Togo adhere to the CoM SSA covenant;
– Strengthen the collaborative approach through a structured dialogue between the national level and the local level as part of the territorialization of Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) of the countries of the WAEMU area;
– Define a regional “Readiness” program aimed at strengthening the capacities of local authorities to develop portfolios of climate-energy projects and at gaining access to climate finance in the WAEMU area;
– Strengthen advocacy for the connection between the climate agenda, the biodiversity agenda, and the development agenda;
– Define a common position for the local and regional governments of the countries of the WAEMU area.
Ministers, regional, international, financial and development partners, such as: WAEMU, AfDB, BOAD, EBID, UNDP, the European Union, the Green Climate Fund, the UNFCCC, the OECD, and the National Associations of African Local and Regional Governments of Africa will take part in the proceedings of the conference.
During the Forum, the national support approach for the cities that have signed the CoM SSA in Togo will be launched by Expertise France and its partners from the Delegate Ministry in charge of Territorial Development.
For further information, please contact:
Gaëlle YOMI: Phone: + 212 610 56 71 45
Jeanne ETIENNE: Phone: +228 92 47 41 60
UCLG Africa: United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG Africa) is the umbrella organization which ensures the representation of local authorities in Africa. UCLG Africa has 51 national associations of local authorities and more than 2,000 towns and local authorities who are direct members. Through its members, UCLG Africa represents more than 350 million African citizens.
UCLG Africa website: www.uclga.org
CoM SSA: Launched in 2015, the Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa (CoM SSA) is a major catalyst for local climate action in the region, with the political commitment of more than 240 local governments. The aim of CoM SSA is to help local governments move from planning to implementation, with a focus on unlocking climate finance at the local level. CoM SSA website: www.comssa.org