The International Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 of every year for more than 40 years. This year, the celebration of Earth Day will coincide with the signing ceremony of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, which will take place at UN Headquarters in New York by country leaders from across the world.
On this historic day, cities will have an important role to play because they are involved in the fight against climate change and have already taken the measures to implement the agreement. Indeed, the mayors have an important role to play: they have to support the national commitments to fight against Climate Change. The Paris Agreement, which will be signed during Earth Day on April 22nd, establishes a golden opportunity to highlight this reality.
It is in this context, that the international network of the local and regional governments of the world, UCLG, calls upon all mayors to mobilize starting April 18th, 2016 to shed a light on the leadership, the commitment and the progress made by cities to develop the resilience to Climate Change effects and to mitigate them.
We ask your city to post and share a photo of your mayor during his/her participation in environment-friendly initiatives and programs. Earth Day will allow to reaffirm the goals fixed by the agreement, but also to restore contact with other cities, which share the same goals.
In order to do this, we have created a campaign on Social Media that is easy to share, so that your city can promote it and make it more visible on all the channels of Social Media.
To participate, proceed as follows:
1. During the week, prior to Earth Day, show the leading position of your city towards Climate Change by taking a photo of your mayor making an environment-friendly activity (changing a bulb, on a bike or in an electric bus, etc.).
2. Share the selected image on Facebook, Twitter, Medium or Instagram accompanied with a Tweet. You can also post about a specific action for climate undertaken by your city.
3. Do not forget the hashtag: # Cities4Climate or #CompactofMayors.
4. Send us your action on Social Media so that the Pact can help you to make it more visible.
5. On April 22nd, the day of the signing of the Paris Agreement, please consult the examples of comments on Social Media which we included in the digital toolbox, accompanied with the same hashtags #Cities4Climate or #CompactofMayors to support this signing.