The Forum of Mayors on Culture : “Making culture a pillar of sustainable development of our cities and territories”
As part of the celebration of Rabat, African Capital of Culture, organized under the High Patronage of His Majesty King Mohammed VI, the City of Rabat will host the Forum of Mayors and Leaders of Local Authorities of Africa on Culture on May 23 and 24, 2023 at the Hassan Tower Hotel.
This Forum is organized at the invitation of the City of Rabat and UCLG Africa in collaboration with the three umbrella associations of Moroccan local authorities: the Association of Moroccan Regions (ARM), the Moroccan Association of Presidents of Communal Councils (AMPCC), and the Association of Presidents of Prefectural and Provincial Councils (AMCPP). It is also held in partnership with the European Capitals of Culture and the Committee on Culture of the organization United Cities and Local Governments (UCLG).
This Forum aims to enable mayors and leaders of cities and local governments in Africa to:
- Draw inspiration from the experiences of African cities or other regions around the world that have utilized heritage, culture, and the creative sectors to enhance their economic and social development, as well as the attractiveness of their territories.
- Familiarize themselves with the tools and methods employed for developing cultural policies at the city and regional levels.
- Foster intelligent and mutually beneficial partnerships between cities, local authorities, and professionals in the heritage, arts, culture, and creative sectors.
- Benefit from the lessons learned from the inaugural edition of the African Capitals of Culture celebration.
This Forum will also provide mayors and local government leaders from across the continent with the opportunity to discuss the Manifesto on the Renewal of African and Afro-descendant Culture, which is currently under consideration at the level of African Ministers of Culture, and to explore the proposal for the establishment of a Label of Copyright Respecting Cities and Territories in Africa, symbolizing their dedication to promoting arts, culture, and creative industries.
The Forum is financially supported by the Government of the Kingdom of Morocco and the European Commission.
More than a hundred mayors from Africa and other regions are expected to attend this Forum. The official opening ceremony will take place at the Hassan Tower Hotel on May 23, 2023, at 9:30 am, in the presence of:
- -M. Mohamed Mehdi Bensaid, Ministre de la Jeunesse, de la Culture et de la Communication,
- Fatimetou Abdel Malick, President of the Region of Nouakchott (Mauritania) and President of UCLG Africa,
- Asmaa Rhlalou, President of the Rabat Municipal Council,
- Giorgio Ficcarelli, from the Directorate General for International Cooperation and Development at the European Commission
- Jean Pierre Elong Mbassi, Secretary General of UCLG Africa.
For media interview requests or further information, please contact: Mrs Wafae BOUMAAZ: email@example.com // 00212660128943