Advocacy and Mobilization
In the East Africa Region decentralization has had a chequered history. With varying degrees of democratic and decentralized reforms, most of the countries in East Africa have undergone the transition to multi-party forms of governance, but are still currently undertaking wide-ranging programs of local government reforms aimed at enhancing decentralization even further.
At the East Africa Regional Office, we are currently delivering a range of services to our members aimed at working towards enhancing this process with lobbying and advocating activities that promote the benefits of decentralization, such as improved efficiency and poverty reduction.
Our interventions that drive advocacy & mobilization include:
- Acting as the regional interface for lobbying activities promoting decentralization.
- Provision of capacity building through technical and financial support to local governments around the decentralization process
- CEE Rating for the popularization and assessment of decentralization
- Measuring and performance recognition of decentralization
- Strengthening dialogue between LGAs and the EU and its cooperation partners