The names of the shortlisted cities in two of the three major categories in the African Mayors Awards have been announced on 20 April 2015. The two categories in question are the “Large Cities” category and the “Small Cities” category with three cities competing in each one of them.
In the “Large Cities” category, the cities selected by the jury are:
- •Accra, Ghana
- •Cape Town, South Africa
- •Dakar, Senegal
For the “Small Cities” category, the finalists are:
- • Bangangte, Cameroon
- •Asunafo North , Ghana
- •Praia, Cape Verde
The finalists were unanimously selected by the competition’s jury panel, which includes:
- •Jean Pierre Elong Mbassi, Secretary General of United Cities and Local Governments-Africa (UCLG Africa).
- •Tokunbo Omisore, Chairman of the African Union of Architects.
- •Aisa Kirabo Kacyira, Assistant Secretary-General and Deputy Executive Director for UN-Habitat.
- •Victor Leonel Miguel, Chairman of the Angolan Architects Union.
- •Gaetan Siew, Chair, Construction Industry Sector of Mauritius.
The next stage of the competition will see the shortlisted cities announced on the formal ceremony and gala dinner on 30 April, in conjunction with the 2nd Africa Urban Infrastructure Investment Forum, 29-30 April, at CCTA – Talatona Convention Centre, Luanda, Angola.
The winners from each category will receive important prizes that amount to:
- •200 000 US Dollars for the winner in the “Large Cities” category (1,000.000 or more residents);
- •50. 000 US Dollars for “Small cities” category (up to 200 000 residents).
- •100 000 US Dollars for the “Medium-sized” cities category (less than 1 000 000 and more than 200 000 residents);
Concerning this last category, the shortlisted cities will be announced soon.
For more information about the awards and the shortlisted cities, you can visit the event website here.