The 4th Edition of the African Forum of Territorial Managers and Training Institutes Targeting the Local Government (FAMI 4 ) brought together from 23 to 28 November 2020 nearly 686 participants on the Zoom Platform, 33% were women, representing , 33 African countries and 12 non-African countries: Austria, Belgium, China, France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Nepal, Slovakia, South Korea, Spain, USA.
The theme of the meeting was : “Promoting Effective, Ethical, Transparent, and Accountable Local Public Institutions in Africa to act and impact the Decade of Action ” . FAMI was punctuated by an official opening, 5 Plenary Sessions, 6 Parallel Workshops, a Meeting of the Local Africa HRNet, the holding of the 5th Meeting of the Academic Council of ALGA of UCLG-Africa and a Virtual Excursion to discover the Potential, the Structuring Projects, the Heritage and Culture of the Region Tangier-Tetouan-Al Hoceima.
The following recommandations were made by the participants:
1) The Political Will: “Zero Tolerance to Corruption and the Corrupt”, Acting by Example, Setting the Example
(Corruption is not and should not be African; corruption should not exist in our Communities)
2) Work, Promote and Anchor the Moralization of Public Life.
3) To have solid, responsible and respectful Institutions of the Rule of Law, Law and Order.
4) Respect for ethical principles and values in all institutions and in all spheres of governance.
5) Promote, Respect and Anchor Participatory and Inclusive Approaches.
6) Understand, appropriate and implement the New Principles of Effective Governance.
7) Investing in Human Capital at all Levels (Education, Socialization, Training, Capacity Building, Tutoring, Mentoring, Peer Learning, Case Studies, Good Practices, Networking, putting an end to the Assistantship Spirit and Learning to Count on Self, ….).
8) Have Principles, Institutions, procedures and mechanisms to anchor and respect Accountability.
9) Have an enabling environment and holistic and systemic approaches.
10) Transform Leadership at all levels.
Read the full report of the forum here.